Home Forums Legislation $5 per KW stakeholders meeting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As I mentioned at the meeting on Friday, there will be a stakeholders meeting in September regarding the solar legislation and the $5 per KW. I’d like to gather as much info as possible regarding sales. If you’ve had land and/or projects sell in your community, answers to the following would be helpful and feel free to add additional info if available:
    1) total acreage
    2) acreage of project
    3) MW’s
    4) sale was made pre-permitting, mid-permitting, post-permitting
    5) sales price

Also, if you have a project in your community and would like to be included in the meeting, please let me know and I will forward your name to Chris Kearns.

Ken Mallette
    Participant

Charlene,
    Please include me in this process. As a member of the previous group that was hit with this $5 leg I am still miffed and we have a project in the planning stages that has already been appealed?
    Thanks,
    Ken Mallette

Deb Garneau
    Participant

North Kingstown had a sale for two adjacent lots totaling 200 acres which made up a sand and gravel company in November of 2019 for $17 million. The values at that time were a total of $2 million. The company, Broome Solar Land Co did have pre-permitting approval for the 50KW – DC project. However they met with myself, town manager and solicitor to discuss how they would be taxed, prior to the actual sale. No treaties or agreements were made, they felt the land should not be taxed at all….we disagreed. They are selling everything back to the grid, have a Lease and sublease agreement with Brown university/Solar 1. Solar 1 is selling the credits to Brown for a profit.

After demolition permits were pulled, I removed the buildings and other items for the gravel pit and changed the classification to Industrial Vacant..solar potential at $22,000 per acre for 140 acres and $10,000 for 50 acres for the excess land. Vision gave me those numbers and the assessment increased to $3.7 million. They did not appeal that number.

The project was completed in 2021 during a full revaluation. Vision changed the use to Solar 4500 and increased the values to $60,000 per acre under the panels and $25,000 for the excess. 2022 values are now $9.95 million.

I have already heard from their attorney regarding the new legislation which he thought was effective this year…

The company also filed a tangible return for 40KW AC and were billed the $k per kw – $200,000

I am interested in the meeting.

Carmen LaBelle
    Participant

Charlene – please keep me in the loop regarding this. I have a couple sales – nothing huge like NK.
    Both in 2018.

68 Stilson Rd 10/5/2018 sold for 300,000 post permitting. Total acreage 6.82. Solar Acreage 2.05. PP taxed at $3750 per year for 12.5 years starting 2016 per resolution.

1219A Main St 10/16/2018 sold for 350,000 post permitting. Total acreage 5.62. Solar acreage 3.2. .78 MW.

391 Church St 4/30/2021 sold for $315,719 post permitting – but approved approved. Total acreage 7.3. Solar acreage 4. Proposed 1.2 megawatt. Nothing started on this project yet.

Dave Thompson
    Participant

Hi Charlene,

I don’t have any solar sales information but I’d like to be included in the stakeholders meeting.

Thanks,

Dave

Kerri Petrarca
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, I do not have any renewable energy project(s) that have sold. Please add my name to the list for the upcoming meeting. Thank you. – Kerri

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.