Home Forums Legislation DMV list to Assessors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

All,

As you know, DMV is required to send us a list of registered motor vehicles each year, which in the past we used to develop the MV tax roll. Even without taxing MVs, I expect you all would like to keep receiving the list. I am sending an email to Jordan Day to keep a lookout for any proposed changes to this law (31-2-13) and explained why. I am posting this to get a feel for how many of us feel strongly about getting this list each year. Please let me know your thoughts and the will of your city/town to push to keep getting the list.

Thank you!

Brenda Keeble
    Participant

Lincoln would like to continue receiving this list for exemption purposes

Robert Burns
    Participant

Pawtucket would like to continue to receive the Motor Vehicle List

Jen Mooney
    Participant

Burrillville would also like to continue receiving this list for exemption purposes.

Albert Wylie
    Participant

It is undoubtedly an excellent source of information we can refer to for many different things that arise and continues to prove useful not only to our assessor’s office, but to school departments, police, etc. I have no issue continuing the status quo as far as data retention here in Cumberland. We also don’t know what COULD change at any point in time that might result in a need or benefit to having this data that might be difficult to anticipate or foresee currently.

Matthew Helfand
    Participant

Yes Portsmouth would also like to receive the list. We need the list for exemption and residency purposes.

Dave Thompson
    Participant

Westerly is definitely interested in receiving the list.

Ken Mallette
    Participant

Yes, Cranston would likewise appreciate receiving this file.
    Ken Mallette

Christine Brochu
    Participant

Jamestown uses that data and would like to continue to receive it.

Kerri Petrarca
    Keymaster

Exeter would also like to continue receiving this list… Thank you!

Ken Swain
    Participant

Charlestown would like this data to continue.

Question:

I see where H7123 repealed 44-34-1, but it does not include 44-34-2 and 44-34-3, so is the State still required to send us the MV Data and is each community still required to include the assessed value on all future Certification Reports, but with a zero tax rate?

44-34-2 …the tax assessors of each city and town shall assess and levy in each calendar year on every vehicle and trailer registered under chapter 3 of title 31…

44-34-3 …shall make a list containing the value of every vehicle and trailer in the city or town which is subject to the provisions of § 44-34-2, the values to be at the average retail price as determined under § 44-34-2 or at a uniform percentage of these, not to exceed one hundred percent (100%), to be determined by the assessors in each city or town…

Tiana Zartman
    Participant

Hopkinton would like to continue to receive the data!

Chris Celeste
    Keymaster

Good Question, Ken.
    It appears they have not updated the web with the new statutes yet. I’m just guessing here, but they may need to keep those statutes in place because of East Providence. The language in the budget article regarding elimination of excise is:
    (1) The motor vehicle and trailer excise tax established by § 44-34-1 shall be repealed
    effective July 1, 2022. For fiscal year 2023 and thereafter, no tax shall be levied.

So, 44-34-1 is just the definition, they probably should have struck the entire chapter, including the state reporting, the appeal procedure, the VVC, etc. Maybe next session…

In the meantime, I can’t imagine DOR requiring assessment data for items that are not taxed and do not affect the reimbursement. I expect the municipals to push against this. Plus the fact that any modern implementation of RI tax software will no longer have MV tax functionality.

Anyone else have ideas on this?

Kerrin Martini
    Participant

Coventry would like to continue to receive the DMV file. It is an important tool to determine/verify residency for exemptions.

Jade Phillips
    Participant

The MV file is really beneficial to Newport. We would welcome the continued transmission of the files.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.