Home Forums Exemptions Homestead /owner-occupied exemptions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Good Morning all!

For those of you in communities that offer a homestead exemption or owner-occupied tax rate, how often do you require recertification or applications to be made? Every Year? Every two? Three?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Jade

Robert Burns
    Participant

Jade, Pawtucket does not have a Homestead Exemption nor an adjusted tax rate for owner occupied homes. We do offer an exemption for being over 65 for an owner occupied primary residence up to 4 units.

Bob

Chris Celeste
    Keymaster

Smithfield does not have a homestead, but we do have a senior freeze which requires owner occupancy. We do not make people reapply on a schedule, instead we do an annual audit where we send letters and ask for verification that the owner is still living in the property. We audit about 10% per year along with any specific properties we feel may no longer qualify.

Dave Thompson
    Participant

Hi Jade, Westerly does not have a homestead program, but we offer an income-based senior exemption that attempts to keep seniors with limited income in their homes. We require an application every year verifying income levels. We send out about 500 applications every year.

Erin Jacobs
    Participant

Good Morning,
    The Town of Narragansett implemented the Homestead exemption in 2017. For the next several years following that, we had all taxpayers receiving this exemption “renew” their status, with a one page application/declaration stating that all documentation submitted with their original application had not changed. Sending out renewals and receiving them on time became a nightmare; hence the reasoning for not having these exemptions become renewable. We sent out notices in 2020 to all taxpayers receiving the homestead that they would no longer need to submit renewal applications to maintain their exemption.
    We do require our 65 and older residents receiving our variable exemption to submit paperwork annually, as this exemption is based on income levels.

Erin

Deb Garneau
    Participant

N Kingstown just implemented a HS exemption for the 2022 roll. We have not decided on a recertification date. I had over 6,000 residents in my office from January to March and do not want that again….. As I did in Lincoln, if we get returned mail, unpaid bills, address changes, or information from a neighbor, we will send out recertification notices as needed. I do this with our Flat Senior exemption as well.

Christine Brochu
    Participant

In Jamestown we do not have a homestead exemption and we do not have a different rate for Owner Occ. properties.

Mark Capuano
    Participant

Jade,

Good morning. South Kingstown currently does not have a Homestead Exemption. We do have an income based 65 or over owner occupied Exemption which does require submission of annual income documentation. Thankfully we have around 150 application submitted each year; which seems to be a volume this Office can handle from an administration standpoint.

Thanks!

Mark

David Robert
    Participant

Tiverton doesn’t have a homestead exemption currently. After attending a session on assessment bias at the IAAO Boston, I MAY bring this up to the Admin/Council at a later date (next reval).

Jade Phillips
    Participant

Thank you all for your responses. They are really helpful.
    We’re trying to get our arms around this and I was curious what other folks were doing in their communities.
    Thanks again and have a wonderful weekend.

George Durgin
    Participant

Middletown has Resident and Non-resident rates. This the first year of the program. We plan to have residents re-certify every re-val year.
    George Durgin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.