Home Forums Legislation Legislation discussion

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

In response to Ken’s email, I choose to post here as to be respectful of his email concerns.

Are you suggesting that our legislative committee should not actively discuss current legislation and its impact?
    Should we not point out legislation that is in direct opposition to the intent of laws such as FFOS & religious exemptions?
    Should we not question potential ethics violations.

Would you not be concerned if legislation was introduced where as you were not allowed to assess waterfront property any higher than a forest designation?

If we are the “experts” in our profession, do we not have an obligation to speak out? Even though we don’t have waterfront property in WG, I would be just as concerned if the State legislature was going to make Charlestown set their waterfront values at $115 per acre. Shouldn’t all assessors, not just those from communities who “chose to allow “solar farms”, with the belief it was a benefit to the community,” be concerned with legislation that says a utility can benefit from the values set for a forest designation?

We all know that whatever is passed is what we have to uphold. I don’t think any of us needed to be reminded of that.

Kenneth Mallette

For those who haven’t seen this yet. H8220 has passed and it prohibits Assessor’s from changing the land value beneath solar arrays.

Charlene G Randall
    Participant

In speaking with a few Senators this morning, there was an amendment (that was voted down) to raise the $5 per KW to $9. In the hearing, it was stated that they would revisit that in January.

Kerri Petrarca
    Keymaster

Question, can one reassess the property if the parcel is located in a business/commercial/industrial zone?

Tiana Zartman
    Participant

Feel free for anyone to correct me if I’m wrong, but I read it as you cannot reclassify/revalue/reassess solely for the presence of a renewable energy system. So if the current parcel is already zoned as business/commercial/industrial, then those values stay. But, at least in Hopkinton, a lot of the solar arrays received re-zoning to Commercial Special, and I cannot revalue it under a commercial value, so under this new legislation, I have to continue taxing the land at the residential tax rate and cannot change it to the commercial rate.

Deb Garneau
    Participant

I have 200 acres that was previously a classified as “sand and gravel” when purchased by the solar company.

Does this mean I have to go back to that land classification when it is no longer a sand and gravel operation? Can I use an Industrial or Utility classification instead?

Tiana Zartman
    Participant

Good question. Because, according to the legislation, “…all assessments of real property with renewable energy resources thereon shall revert to the last assessed value immediately prior to the renewable developer’s purchasing, leasing, securing an option to purchase or lease, or otherwise acquiring any interest in the real property.”

So sounds like you have to revert the value to the prior assessed value before they bought it and had an interest in it. I have a call into my solicitor in regards to this (considering it might be a value that’s not even current and could be a previous revaluation cycle value).

Kenneth Mallette

Please seek the advise of your respective solicitor’s in regards to implementing H-8220. Each situation maybe different. Was the construction before the change and so on. This is a new Bill and it is unclear at least as far as what effect it will have on communities. Also what is the intent in regards to reverting back to the classification prior to farmland. As it is written it states value not classification so it is unclear how that will be implemented.

Kenneth Mallette

Please seek the advise of your respective solicitor’s in regards to implementing H-8220. Each situation maybe different. Was the construction before the change and so on. This is a new Bill and it is unclear at least as far as what effect it will have on communities. Also what is the intent in regards to reverting back to the classification prior to farmland. As it is written it states value not classification so it is unclear how that will be implemented.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.