Home Forums Exemptions Poverty/Infirmity Tax Relief

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • Carmen LaBelle
    Post count: 12

    Wondering what other cities and towns do for the Poverty/Infirmity exemption. What qualifies in your town? Application information? Exemption amounts? Are they allowed to claim the exemption more than one year? Thank you. Carmen LaBelle – Richmond

    Salvatore Saccoccio
    Post count: 18

    none in WW

    Chris Celeste
    Post count: 33

    I avoid using that as much as possible.

    Typically I send them to Human Services where they can actually be helped instead of given a hand out. Maybe they can borrow against the equity in the home, maybe they need some financial consulting to assist them. Either way, in my opinion, this is not a function of the assessors division.

    That being said, it typically is a one time exemption. If it needs to be given year after year, then there is an underlying problem, which again, should be handled by Human Services.

    Lastly, in the past I have received a legal opinion stating that section of statute is unconstitutional because it gives the tax assessor unbridled authority to determine who pays taxes and who doesn’t.

    Dave Thompson
    Post count: 8

    None in Westerly.

    Charlene G Randall
    Post count: 14

    We do have an exemption application. I’ve only ever had a few applicants and have never approved one. Carmen – I will send you our application in an email.

    David Robert
    Post count: 12

    I have granted several over the years but only in very rare instances. The former assessor handed them out like candy, and in many cases, to the same person year after year which is not the intent of this exemption IMO. I use an application asking for income/expenses, financial statements including bank checking. Its funny that some people use their debit cards at Foxwoods, Ballys, etc but yet need assistance…. Not sure the intent was to underwrite betting losses.

    Thomas Kane
    Post count: 2

    We call it a Variable Exemption in North Providence. Income limit is $15,000 in gross income, however medical bills can help offset the income amount. The exemption can continue to be claimed as long as criteria is met.

    Mark Capuano
    Post count: 4


    The City of Cranston has a Tax Freeze program which requires an annual filing of an application along with Income Documentation from all sources of Income for all Household residents who reside in a single or two family dwelling. (Owner occupied, primary residence).

    The Applicant must be 65 years of age or entitled to receive social security disability Income.

    The Income Limits are:
    $30,400 for 1 person
    $34,600 for more than 1 person.

    If you would like me to forward you a copy of this City Ordinance, please let me know.



    Jade Phillips
    Post count: 5

    We have an application, and require a copy of the tax return or like documentation to be submitted.
    We have a goodly amount (30-ish) but there aren’t as many as in years past.

    Daniel Ducharme, Ph.D.
    Post count: 11

    None in Central Falls

    Carmen LaBelle
    Post count: 12

    I appreciate all the responses. Thank you. I’m also enjoying the ease of just scrolling through the responses and not having it all as a bunch of emails. This is great. Thanks again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.